If you are wondering about what should you prepare for the next dinner – and you like oranges to go with it – then maybe it would be a good idea to try out our mama’s Asian chicken and rice recipe.
– 1/3 cup of
– 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar,
– 2 tablespoons of orange juice,
– 2 tablespoons of soy sauce,
– 2 tablespoons of ketchup,
– 1 tablespoon of white vinegar,
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced,
– 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes,
– 1/4 teaspoon of Chinese five-spice powder,
– 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel,
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil,
– 1 1/2 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed,
– 2 cups of water,
– 1 cup of uncooked white rice,
– 2 teaspoons of cornstarch,
– 2 tablespoons of cold water,
– chopped green onions for garnish.
Here is how to prepare it:
1. Find a
bowl and stir together warm water, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce,
ketchup, white vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes, five-spice powder, and
orange peel until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is well combined.
2. Move on to heating the olive oil in a big skillet or wok over medium heat, and cook and stir the chicken for 10 to 12 minutes until the outside is golden brown and the inside is no longer pink. Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover the skillet. End it with a simmer for 30 minutes with occasional stirring.
3. When the chicken and sauce are simmering, proceed to bringing the rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Put the rice aside and keep warm.
4. In the last step, whisk the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl until smooth, and stir into the chicken and sauce, a few teaspoons at a time. End everything with letting the chicken and sauce cook for about 2 minutes to thicken, then serve over hot cooked rice, sprinkled with green onion.